Late one night (4am-ish to be exact) when we first started dating M, my now husband, came over after leaving a night club. I was standing at the counter making vietnamese summer rolls.
LOTS of summer rolls!! At least 40!
I had a craving for them, so I got up and made them!
I remember him standing i the kitchen doorway in shock. Eyes wide and mouth open. What was I doing making these!? This little american girl standing in the kitchen slaving away like his Korean mother. All he said was, “Wooooooow!!”
I’m preeeety sure this is what made him fall in love with me! 😉
The Ravenous Munchkins love them as does the Ravenous Grandma. And since she promised to juileanne everything – Why not! 🙂
Since going vegan and getting healthy I tried to make them without shrimp.
Ingredients for Rolls:
- Vietnamese rice paper/summer roll wrappers
- 2 rolls of cellophane noodles
- wonton wrappers
- lemon balm or mint
- tofu; dry fried
- Veggie Ham
- Korean pear – or any fruit
- optional – pickled vietnamese veggies – cabbage and carrots
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 5 drops of toasted sesame oil
- cilantro to taste – I of course like a lot!
- 2 Tbls soy sauce
- 2 Tbls water
1. Start by juileanning pre-cooked tofu, carrots, cucumber, veggie ham, Korean pear. Set aside.
2. Warm and slightly brown the veggie ham in a pan over med-high heat. Set aside.
3. Combine all ingredients for peanut sauce in a personal blender like magic bullet and blend well, adding more water to desired consistency.
4. Cut about 10 wonton wrappers in half – lenghtwise. wrap each around a skewer to roll and slide of skewer. Bake at 450 until brown or fry in a shallow pan of oil if you like.
5. Boil a pan of water and place noodles. Turn off heat and let sit for about 10 minutes. Drain.
6.. Arrange all ingredients on your workspace so that they are easily reached when preparing the rolls.
7. Fill a shallow dish with water and place on workspace. (I used a pie keeper top) Place one summer roll wrapper in the water totally submerged for 3 seconds, Flip and repeat for 3 seconds.
8. Place wrapper flat on table or counter. place a lemongrass or mint leaf, neatly place the veggies and wonton wrapper, then a bunch of noodles. DONT FILL TO MUCH!!!
9. Working quickly roll the side closest to you over the fillings and then each side, roll tightly.
10. If you do not fill and get to rolling quickly enough your summer roll will be loose and break easily. It may take take several trys to get it right. But well worth the patience! Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy! 🙂