Ahhhh, another vegan meal fit for a bowl…
No, for realz, Ravenous Munchkin J has been begging me to make Pumpkin Soup since October – who know where she got that from. But being the good mother that I am, I will give the kids what she wants. Well kinda
- 2 large cans of diced tomatoes
- 5 small cans of black beans
- 2 cans of pumpkin puree
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger; grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of freshly ground allspice
- chipotle powder (optional)
- cilantro for garnish
- Turn on crock pot to a High setting. Open all cans and pour them into a crockpot. Pour all liquid in too!
- Put the spices and chopped onion in too.
- Place the wheat berries in a saucepan and cover with water, cover and bring to a boil. Continue to cook in med-high for about 30-45 minutes until they have softened. Turn off and let sit for a bit, 10 min or so.
- Drain the remaining water from the pan of wheat berries and add to the chili
- Cover and let cook for at least 5 hours or until desired consistency.