The kids really get excited every other Friday night – when I announce that tomorrow morning we will be making donuts – while they have no idea who Homer Simpson is, I can hear them repeat his trademark moan, “Mmmmm…dounuts”
While it’s not a healthy meal by any stretch of the imagination, unless of course I concocted some green bean, kelp, sweet potato doughnut – but then I’m not sure the kids would look forward to Donut Morning so much! 😛
This morning I decided to surpize them with a little chocolatey gob of goodness in the center of their normally cinnamon sugar coated mini donuts. Yes, Mikey and I put Hershey milk chocolate chips in the center!
Makes about 32 Munchkin sized donuts.
- 1 can of jumbo buttermilk biscuits (or 2 cans of regular size)
- sugar and cinnamon (we add Splenda too)
- 2 cups canola oil
- Hershey Mlk Chocolate Chips
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over med heat. Open donut can and tear/cut each donut into quarters
- Push 2-4 chips into the center of each quarter and pinch shut – make sure that you seal it good so that the melted chocolate doesn’t leak into the hot oil – yech!
- Roll each in your palms to create a ball
- Gently place each ball into the hot oil
- Some will flip over on their own, the ones that don’t – flip ’em!
- To test doneness take one out and cut it open and see if it’s still doughey. If they need more time, give em a minute or so, if not take them out and transfer to a paper towel lined plate or a brown paper bag to drain oil.
- When cool enough to touch roll in the cinnamon sugar and serve!
The yummy surprise that lie deep within their fluffiness was enough to earn me a HUGE hug from Ravenous Munchkin #1 as well as a “These a the BEST donuts in the WORLD, I love you MOM!”
I hope you family enjoys them as much as we do!