The Ravenous Munchkins have always loved rice since they starting eating. Honestly each of their very first meals was miso soup with seaweed and white rice that I would make and puree for them…THEY LOOOOVED IT!! I mean, what else would you expect from three kids who are part Korean?!?
The past 2 years I have had them eating (and LOVING) brown rice. It’s much more healthy, full of fiber, and it’s something that you can feel good about feeding your kids.
I decided to make something that we haven’t had in a while. BiBimBop – it’s a simple Korean dish that is simply steamed rice with seasoned and sautéed vegetables and meat. BiBimBap literally translates to “Mixed Rice”. A fitting name as you mix up the rice after it is served to you.
I was stoked to make this meal tonight and went on a hunt for this delicioso “Veggie Ham” I had tasted at the vegan restaurant we’ve been frequenting. I went to the Korean grocery, and 2 Vietnamese groceries before I found it…
If you have had this I highly suggest you give it a try. Don’t let the HUGE size of it intimidate you, you can use it in EVERYTHING!! I don’t think it’s meant to be eaten plain, but as an add in for flavor for a dish. I would say the taste is a little “hammy” and a little “spammy”.
- 1 package of brown rice; steamed
- 1/4 loaf of Veggie ham; julienned
- 1 package of spinach
- 3 small Korean squash; julienned (or Mexican depending where u shop)
- 8+ shiitakes; sliced thinly
- one package of shredded carrots
- toasted sesame oil
- Sriracha and toasted sesame oil for serving
- Prepare rice ahead of time.
- One at a time saute each different vegetable and veggie ham with a couple drops of toasted sesame oil and a pinch of salt. When each are finished place them in individual bowls.
- When all veggies and rice are finished cooking, put some rice into a bowl and arrange your veggies on top. It’s all about presentation!!
- I eat mine with a little sesame oil and Sriracha but you can also make some Cho Ganchang to serve it with.
- Don’t forget to mix it up before you eat, after all it IS BiBimBap!