I came across the ingredients for this recipe a while back. I made a few changes to suit me and thought my kids love tofu I was a little surprised that it was such it was a hit in this house! We all do the vegan thing every now and then for stretches as long as a month. Just may be time for another…
- 1 Package of extra firm Tofu
Mint Lime Sauce
- 6 Tbs Sugar
- 6 Tbs Soy Sauce
- Juice of one Lime
- Zest of above lime
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 10 Mint Leaves sliced thinly
- 2 cups uncooked Quinoa
- Zest of one Lime
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Bunches of Collard Greens, washed and chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbls Lime Juice
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl, stir. Set aside
- Add all ingredients for the quinoa in a dutch oven over med-high heat. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Turn off, let sit 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking you can start cutting your tofu in chunks. Add them to a skillet over med-high heat. ( you may add a touch of EVOO if you like – I find it impossible to NOT use it cooking tofu!) Be sure to “press” the water out with your spatula. Cook on the first side for 15 minutes. repeat process.
- Using a metal spatula carefully scrape the yummy browned tofu crust off the bottom on the pan and turn each over – it’s okay if you screw up just make sure that you scrape that yummy goodness of the bottom – the crunchy bits ROCK in the end – TRUST me!
- While your Tofu if browning you can chop your greens.
- Heat a large skillet or pan over HIGH. Add to it the water, lime juice and salt. First put the shredded carrots in and then the greens. Cover. Check on them in 3 minutes. If you need to add a bit more water, do so. You want them still bright green (and the carrots orange) but slightly cooked.
- When your tofu is nice and crispy and hot pour your sauce in the pan and stir it all up. Remove from heat.
- Serve the veggies on a bed of quinoa and the tofu on top of that.