Overnight tomatoes are something that I first tastes at a local restaurant, PROOF. They have such an intense roasty and deep caramel flavor, I had to give them a try at home! Like PROOF, I love them in a delicious Chicken Caesar Salad with fresh marinated white anchovies and toasted pinenuts (that I will be positing soon!) and most recently as a topping on whole wheat pizza – Pizza Post
They are incredibly easy even a caveman could do it!😉
- as many Roma tomatoes as you like (I use about 15)
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Slice tomatoes lengthwise (I use Romas because they are the “driest tomatoes” and when we’re roasting or trying to take moisture out the less we start with the better!) and arrange on a baking sheet with the sliced side up.
- Usually i drizzle with EVOO – great if your not counting calories but I am so this time I brushed them with the EVOO instead. **NOTE** if you brush instead of drizzle please remember to brush again 3 hours into the cooking or they will dry out**
- Season with the sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Place them in the oven for at least 6 hours – possibly 8. They will be ready when they are a deep maroon and have – for lack of a better word – shriveled to half the original size.
- Remove and cool on the sheet. You can put these in a tight container and store in the fridge for up to 10 days or freeze for a couple of months.